We, the Mount Carmel family, called by the Spirit to holiness, strengthened by Word and Sacrament, and guided by the Blessed Mother of God, strive in our various ways to participate in the mission of Jesus. We share the Gospel, pray together, teach, serve others, and strive to be witnesses of His healing love of all people.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel enjoys a rich tradition; some of our parishioners share an Italian heritage dating back to 1926, when the church was founded. But as we honor our past, we focus on the future of our parish and the entire Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood and Gordon Square Arts District.
We offer a comprehensive schedule of weekday and weekend masses, including a Sunday Italian-language mass and a Sunday evening mass, we well as an array of organizations, club and activities that engage parishioners, encourage them to share their time and talents, and attract non-parishioners.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish School fosters an education rooted in the Catholic faith for Pre-K through Grade 8, and serves both Catholic and non-Catholic children who represent over twenty nationalities. Key components include:
- A dedicated staff of Mercedarian priests, sisters and lay teachers led by our principal, Ms. Shelly Schenek.
- A beautiful pre-school building and newly remodeled classrooms
- An indoor playground
- Full-day/full-week preschool and kindergarten
- Daily hot lunches
- Classroom laptop & tablets computers
- State-of-the-art classroom smart-boards
- An automated media center/library
- A state-of-the-art STREAM Lab
- A foreign language program (Pre K – 8th grade)
- A balanced school calendar that maximizes learning
- An air conditioned building
- After-school care and extracurricular activities
Most students can attend for free!
Our Lady of Mount Carmel parish — one of the founders of the Detroit-Shoreway Community Organization — is committed to the continued growth and revitalization of our community. This ongoing commitment is exemplified by Villa Mercede, our 150-unit residential high-rise for senior citizens; St. Peter’s by the Lake and the Belvedere condominiums; the refurbished Villas at the Water’s Edge condominiums and our Meals on Wheels lunch program. We invite you to visit us and consider joining our vibrant community.